If you have never bought property in Western Australia, you may be eligible for the first home owners grant to put towards the purchase of your first home.
The team at First Homebuilders can help you find out if you are eligible for the first home buyers’grant.
What is the first home owner grant scheme?
The FHOG is a once-off payment to help first home buyers with building a residential property when that property will be used as their principal place of residence.
To be eligible for the FHOG and/or first home owner rate of duty, applicants must satisfy the following criteria:
- An applicant must be a natural person (i.e. not a company) and be 18 years or over at the time of making application. However, you may be able to apply for an exemption from the age requirement.
- At least one applicant must be an Australian citizen or a permanent resident at the time of making application.
- Applicants and/or their spouses or de facto partners cannot have previously received the FHOG or first home owner rate of duty from any jurisdiction in Australia.
- Applicants and/or their spouses or de facto partners cannot have previously owned a home anywhere in Australia prior to 1 July 2000.
- Applicants and/or their spouses or de facto partners cannot have previously owned a home anywhere in Australia after 1 July 2000 and occupied that home before 30 June 2004.
- Applicants and/or their spouses or de facto partners cannot have previously owned a home anywhere in Australia after 1 July 2000 and occupied that home for a period of not more than six continuous months commencing after 30 June 2004.
- Applicants must occupy the home as their principal place of residence for a continuous period of at least six months commencing within 12 months of settlement if purchasing a home, or within 12 months from the date of completion if building a home.
- Applicants must hold a relevant interest (ownership) in the land on which the home is situated.
- The applicant must enter into a contract to buy or build (or in case of an owner builder, commence construction) on or after 1 July 2000.
Source: Department of State Revenue
What is considered a new home?
A ‘new’ home is considered to be a property that has never been lived in before by any other party, or sold to another party prior to you. The following are not considered a new home in Western Australia: established houses; acquisition of vacant land (until there is a comprehensive contract to build a residential property on it), business or commercial property, holiday houses, renovations to an existing home.
How can I find out if I am eligible for the FHOG?
The team at First Home Builders can assist you in determining whether you are eligible for the FHOG. Contact us today in order to find out if you are eligible.